Monday, January 10

Two Victories!
I have a couple of things to celebrate today! I learned how to ask for a Rain Check at the grocery store! I had to run out to pick up a few things at the grocery store tonight so I waited until the crowds cleared out due to the upcoming storm. I needed some snacks for the trip and some quart-size bags for my liquids...also for the trip. But, before I went, I pulled out the circular and my coupons. Pillsbury Crescent Rolls are 10 for $10 at the IGA and I had coupons....LOTS of them!!! I was determined to use as many as I could. So, as I walked down the aisles I noticed that there was plenty of milk and bread, but NO crescent rolls. I even asked the guy who was restocking the shelves if there were more....just like mom did! He said he'd put the last ones out earlier. No problem.

Next I hit the breakfast bar/granola bar aisle. I had a coupon for some milk and cereal bars. Unfortunately, IGA only carries 2 varieties and my coupons were for the varieties that they don't carry. But, investing $3.69 on 6 milk and cereal bars was still cheaper than breakfast at the hotel. I also threw in a box of granola bars for $3.69. I knew I liked them and they'd travel well.

I then headed up to customer service to see if I could get a rain check for the crescent rolls. She explained that they don't typically issue rain checks for perishable items, but maybe it's because I asked so nicely. She gave me one! WOO HOO! Now I just have to remember to use it when I get back from Nashville. But, before I left the store, I wandered the aisles again looking for good sales. That's when I passed the "Scratch-and-Dent" shelf. I noticed a box of granola bars marked down to $2 because the box was dented. I don't think a little dent is going to hurt a granola bar, so I put my $3.69 box back on the shelf.

It wasn't my biggest savings ever, but I'm still proud of myself.

And what was my second victory? I had a very successful weight loss week! The Weight Watchers leader asked what my secret was....probably not going out to eat. BUT, that wasn't because I was on a diet so much as it was that I'm on a budget. We ate food that was on sale. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the health content. That's a good sign, right?

Now, please say a prayer...I'm scheduled to fly to Nashville at noon on Wednesday. I'm very stressed. There's snow there and there's scheduled to be snow here. I REALLY want to get there relatively close to on time!

1 comment:

Judy Lucas said...

I will be praying for you & Kristin A. to keep you safe! Have a great time. I'll be following your blog.