Wednesday, January 24

I Love USAirways
Whew...what crazy travel stuff has happened in the last 24 hours. I told you about my trip to Portland, right? Okay. Well, I'm flying to Portland, Oregon on Thursday, March 8th. I had planned to stay until Saturday, March 10th when I'd take the redeye home. I'm attending a Creating Keepsakes Convention. They're tons of fun. If you're interested, there's also one in Valley Forge in July - I'll be going to that one too. Hopefully the power doesn't go out this year. But, that's a story for another day! Anyway...I was documenting my itinerary for my travel plans and class schedules. That's when I looked at my flight home. I was confused. I was sure I had booked a direct flight, but the website showed me flying through Phoenix. I was thinking, "Cool, more miles!" That's when I looked at the departure time - 11:30am. Then I was even more confused. I have classes scheduled through 2pm that day. Apparently USAirways had cancelled my flight and put me on a flight 12 hours earlier. What?!?!?!? So, I called and they told me that I had two options. The latest one had several connections and five hours in total layovers. I wasn't happy, but I took it.

The more I thought about it, the unhappier I was. I then realized that my redeye was still scheduled for Sunday, March 11th. I thought it was a longshot, but wondered if USAirways would change my return, again, for the next day. I finally called today. I figured I'd use the extra day to do some sightseeing. Although, it would cost me an extra $130 at the hotel. After some convincing, USAirways let me do it. So, next I had to book a rental car and change my hotel. Well, I had forgotten that there's a promotion with Hertz and Marriott. If you rent a car, you get a free third night at a Marriott hotel. My rental car is only $26 and will eliminate the need to get a cab to the airport. And, my extra night at the Marriott is completely free! Isn't that awesome!?!?!? I also won't have to worry about where to keep all of my stuff and luggage on Saturday when I'm at the convention.

So, thank you USAirways, I'm getting an extra day for only $26!!! I'm going to check out some of the Oregon wineries. I've been wanting to do that for years! So, now I have to leave room in my luggage for scrapbooking stuff AND wine! Oh dear.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Sounds like a blast! Not that I think for a minute that you wouldn't check things our for yourself, but I did a quick search. Check this out. The site also has a search tool to find wineries in the area. Looks like most of them are outside of Portland, but very close. Definitely got to check out - there's a winery actually called "Hip Chicks do Wine." Can't imagine you'd pass that up. Last piece of unsolicited advice - check out some pinot noir. If you didn't already know, Oregon has some nice pinots. :-)